PaulineMRoss

Pauline's Fantasy Reviews

Reviews of fantasy books, plus some mystery, sci-fi and literary works, and my random thoughts on book-related matters.

Dragon Queen (The Memory of Flames, #5)
Stephen Deas
The Splintered Eye (The War of Memory Cycle #2)
H. Anthe Davis, Erica Dakin

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions (Dover Thrift Editions)

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions - Banesh Hoffmann, Edwin A. Abbott This is proof, I suppose, that not all classic texts survive the passage of time unscathed. The concept of a two-dimensional world, and an inhabitant trying to get to grips with the idea of three dimensions, is a brilliant one, and much of the book rather elegantly takes a side swipe at Victorian culture, which is a bonus (and often very funny). I am not sure just how educational it is - it seems rather a lengthy work for the amount of information conveyed.

However, the turgid and long-winded prose is alien to modern sensibilities. There are quite a few typos in my Kindle edition, too, which didn't help. In several places, it seemed to be referring to a diagram which was missing, although this too may be a deficiency of the ebook. Not bad, overall, and with some wonderful moments, but too ponderous to be completely enjoyable.