PaulineMRoss

Pauline's Fantasy Reviews

Reviews of fantasy books, plus some mystery, sci-fi and literary works, and my random thoughts on book-related matters.

Dragon Queen (The Memory of Flames, #5)
Stephen Deas
The Splintered Eye (The War of Memory Cycle #2)
H. Anthe Davis, Erica Dakin

Damian's Oracle (War of Gods, #1)

Damian's Oracle - Lizzy Ford This was free for the Kindle (it's still very cheap), and I suppose proves the old adage that you get what you pay for. The plot: there's a White god and a Black god and a Grey god and Guardians and Watchers and Naturals. Oh, and an Oracle. Some time in the past, there was a Schism... no, actually, that's enough plot.

It's not that this is a bad book, exactly, because somewhere in there is a half-decent story screaming to get out, and some of the characters have potential too, but it's all buried under a morass of chiselled jaws and perfect abs and tight t-shirts and heaving bosoms - you get the picture. And then I got to this line: "This is Dustin, commander of the western hemisphere..." and that was it. I just can't read when I'm laughing that hard. So this book joins a very select shelf of books I couldn't finish, putting Lizzy Ford on a par with China Mieville. Blimey.

Now I daresay my tastes are defective, because there seem to be vast numbers of people giving this 5 stars, so if you like this sort of thing, this is probably a good example of it. Whatever it is.